The Black Lotus Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic Sword

5 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Magic Sword - Page 3 Empty Re: Magic Sword

Post by Zibo Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 pm

If you want I can take over, so you spend your free evenings in peace. Smile
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male
Number of posts : 4027
Registration date : 2009-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Is the the issue of transparent pixels a limitation of the GIF format or the engine?
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male
Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Format. You can check yourself by exporting the image to GIF format.
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Alright, though I actually wanted to ask that if it's a problem with the GIF itself, isn't there some other format or input you can use? I assume you've looked into it, of course.

I'm going to try and finish the Paladin during next week. If there's no other way I'll just convert the existing transparent pixels into a colour gradient. I ended up spending less time at home during the vacation than I had wanted.
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gold Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:07 pm

W o w - this is making almost faster progress than StarCitizen, isnĀ“t it? Very Happy
gold
gold
General
General

Male
Number of posts : 13236
Hobbies : PC, RPG, Party, Music & the fine arts
Games played recently : Tetris
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Zibo's doing good. I'm just slacking off with my one and only thing.
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Well, I haven't done progress since 1.5 week now (King's Bounty taking all my free time sunny ). Though I ended up on creating quite decent seed of enemy AI. Still the upgrade investing, building constructing is missing.

As for animation formats - the alternative are sprite maps. You prepare one image containing sequence of animation frames and you programatically switch frames. It's much more complicated to do, also you are not quite able to preview animation easily, so I sticked to GIFs.
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gold Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:57 am

Doppelganger wrote:Zibo's doing good. I'm just slacking off with my one and only thing.
I know, Chris Roberts would be proud of him.

@Zibo: Devs are supposed to make games, not consume them. That is the though part of us gamers! You get the nice ending in deciding what actually makes it into the game. We then have to just deal with it. rabbit
gold
gold
General
General

Male
Number of posts : 13236
Hobbies : PC, RPG, Party, Music & the fine arts
Games played recently : Tetris
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm

What engine do you use? I think I found a pretty easy way to turn that PS animation into a sprite map (hopefully it works). Yay for transparent pixels!!
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:03 pm

What do you mean by engine? I'm using my own (all best developers write their own engines, doh). Very Happy
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Oh but isn't there some framework or something? I'm asking bc the program wants a correct export format, bc the sprite sheet needs a data file.

Yeah I don't really understand what I'm talking about, but it's true.
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Maybe there is, I'd need to do research and tests. But that takes time, implementing it, refactoring tons of existing functionalities related to animations, then bug fixing, not to mention remaking all animations. I can tell you for sure that such a slight feature as semi-transparent pixels in animations doesn't equal the effort it will require to put in at this moment.

Why you need it so much? Does your animation cannot live without it and look like crap? Very Happy
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Because I thought it was more a matter of file format and not such a hassle? Very Happy If it's like that I guess screw that.
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:09 pm

I've decided that current framerate for animations is too low and I'm progressively remaking it to 60 FPS. Right. Ok, maybe 12 FPS max, which is still like tripple the current value. So far remade swordsman and ranger.

Still working on AI mechanics - today made first draft on AP upgrade investment that will probably hold for some time. Algorithm for building structures is still a mystery to me and requires hard thinking on that, so maybe screw that for a while.

Meantime a concept for different playable fractions evolves in the mind:
- Military (current one) - archers, knights, paladins, priests, wizards and so on; featuring in decent healing capabilities
- Monsters (or some similar name Very Happy) - all kind of monsters somelike created by nature: ogres, trolls, shamans, warewolves; featuring in passive regen
- Darkness - zombies, skeletons, necromancers, vampires, dark knights; featuring in life leech, plagues or so

and whatever the fuck I will come up with later (robots, savages, orcs.. airplanes!).
And I guess campaign mode would need some sort of adventure mode where you would decide what mission to choose, but no idea how that could work in the end. :p
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:14 pm

I tried remaking the non transparent Paladin as well. The healing looks fugly right now, but it's almost done.

I would dread the AP upgrades with caution, though.
It's like reverse Divinity - I think what they did in the second game was a really positive change.

Also higher FPS animations Magic Sword - Page 3 3918553942
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 pm

What did they do in Divinity?
You mean I should make AP upgrades harder, weaker or be generally cautious with it? Very Happy
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Going from first to second game, they did away with AP upgrades. Only Lone Wolf gives you increased total AP, plus a couple of skills give extra AP per turn; and you have max AP at the start of every turn. It streamlined the build and battle experience significantly.
Obviously it's a completely different game and it would need extensive testing. However, since AP is pretty much everything (as in the only resource) in your game, I can imagine a situation where you need to rush to upgrade it. Unless the tradeoff is significant. Even then it might warp the gameplay too much, taking away from the actual combat and unit upgrades.

Zibo wrote:
You mean I should make AP upgrades harder, weaker or be generally cautious with it? Very Happy

All of them.
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Yeah, I'm aware of that situation. AP kinda represents player's progress - having it higher allows you to build and train more expensive units. I already have noticed that while opponent is tryingto move his troops to your base, it's worth to put all AP in the AP upgrade meantime. And when both players will prefer to put AP in AP upgrade first, then there's no board movement at all.
The thing is I don't quite have the idea yet how to prevent it, without removing AP upgrade. When you invest in AP during the play, the action becomes more and more dynamic, player is able to do more moves, train faster etc., and this kind of progress is what I'd want to maintain.

Damn, maybe I should go Total Annihilation style. Put ground resources across the board where players are able to build kind of extractors - 1 building = +1 AP gain. But for such feature, boards would need to be a bit bigger I guess.
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Hmmm OK.

Zibo wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of that situation. AP kinda represents player's progress - having it higher allows you to build and train more expensive units. I already have noticed that while opponent is tryingto move his troops to your base, it's worth to put all AP in the AP upgrade meantime. And when both players will prefer to put AP in AP upgrade first, then there's no board movement at all.
The thing is I don't quite have the idea yet how to prevent it, without removing AP upgrade.

Yeah this is exactly what I had in mind. I guess if one player doubles down on the AP upgrades then the other would have the option to either amass an army or blitz the first to win it would be alright. This would also be tied to maps. Depending on your starting position, and assuming maps will be asymmetrical, a player would have to choose which option is best.

Zibo wrote:When you invest in AP during the play, the action becomes more and more dynamic, player is able to do more moves, train faster etc., and this kind of progress is what I'd want to maintain.

Damn, maybe I should go Total Annihilation style. Put ground resources across the board where players are able to build kind of extractors - 1 building = +1 AP gain. But for such feature, boards would need to be a bit bigger I guess.

Another option would be to just increase both AP values for both players over time, similar to Hearthstone. Having +AP as a control area seems a good idea, though, as it makes the map more dynamic and creates more decisions.

When it comes to map sizes, having too much AP on both sides and too small maps would also create like an "avalanche scenario" (yes, I made it up) - a kind of a stand off where one wrong move would enable the opponent to spend all of their AP, but getting to move so many units at once and defeat the other player in one turn. It's not necessarily bad, though can be a bit frustrating and perhaps anticlimatic.
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:08 pm

In general I plan the fights to be longer and more abilities-based than it is now, so that should not be possible to defeat anyone in one turn. After having some playable number of units/mechanics, I will rebalance the HP/damage, so it takes quite a couple hits to kill anything (unless some heroic demigod units fight meatshield Very Happy, or having big difference between upgrades).

The worst part is that you cannot know which mechanic will work in practice until you code it and spend some time testing it. I probably will go with some mix of upgrades, ground resources and maybe something more - just for the diversity of options.
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:18 pm

For sure. Even then you'd need many people grinding the game to figure out everything.
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Where's Paladin?! 2 months passed. Very Happy I'd expect you made it 200 frames per animation type in that time!

Meantime.. first demigod unit draft - Duelist:

Magic Sword - Page 3 XTatzBB
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:42 am

Nah, I had to devolve my creation into a non-transparent pixel abomination.

Actually I've been like 95% done for two months, it's just the finishing touches I'm not sure about.
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doppelganger Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 pm

OK I finally found a design I was satisfied with.

Lets see if we have some of those pesky transparent pixels on the loose.

Magic Sword - Page 3 Paladi45

Magic Sword - Page 3 Paladi46

Hmm I'm seeing at least one. White looks kinda funky on the light grey background, though. Maybe it'd be ok ingame. Also I didn't do much shading; perhaps the arm could use some?
Doppelganger
Doppelganger
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zibo Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:15 am

I will put it into game and we will see if any shading is needed.

Also, please provide me the animation files with separate frames, so I can do adjustments where needed (e.g. swing animation needs more dynamics, that is longer delay for preparation for a swing and lower swing delay; ability definetely too long and the rain particles might need to change colour to pure white/yellow).

I think I will find time and will to implement Palading today.
Zibo
Zibo
WICKED SICK
WICKED SICK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down